Monday, June 21, 2010

Hair: Going Natural on the Cheap

I posted previously some links on hair. I've found interesting hair recipes from other sites that seem to be tryable. I looked at the prices and ingredients of the shampoos that I've bought and used. They seem really expensive and unhealthy.


Green Tea Shampoo

1 cup Green Tea (strong brew)

3/4 cups castile soap (I'm sure that you can add the soap base you want)

Mix ingredients together and place in a bottle. Store in a cool place. I think that some variations can be made to suite this recipe to different hair types. I would try this recipe except I'd add some oil or other herbs to the shampoo and make conditioner that goes with it. What I do like about this recipe is that the ingredients can be found anywhere. Green tea is sold in pretty much every store. I found castile soap at Walgreens. This should be a really easy recipe for those who are just trying out home made products. My only concern is that green tea is very acidic, so use sparingly. I recommend using this recipe as a clarifying shampoo.

Source: www.yoga4beginners.org/greentea/shampoo.htm

I think making shampoo can be cheaper and healthier than the store bought products that say they are natural, but they have added chemicals that can be harsh on the hair and scalp. Not to mention that some additives are carcinogenic. When I get a chance, I'll actually review this recipe and some others that I'll try for my hair.

I found some links pertaining to home made hair and skin products:

Black Soap Shampoo Recipe

Flaxseed Hair Gel

Whipped Shea Butter With Coconut Oil

Whipped Shea Butter (II)

I was trying to find an all vegan hair conditioner recipe, but it's pretty difficult. I recommend the first whipped shea butter recipe as a conditioner recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment