Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Grocery Stores and Transportation

I'm in the Northern Nevada area and I just moved into my apartment a little over two weeks ago. With no car and a tight budget, it is difficult at times to find decent places to buy groceries. While I found a small liquor store that has all shelf items, I just couldn't really shop in there, because the prices are more expensive than the large grocery stores. So, I'll go on a hunt for basic kitchen items and shop where I usually shop for groceries. I moved here out of the dorms in a spur of the moment. Considering how inexpensive rice and potatoes are, I recommend for kitchen items a rice cooker, crockpot, pans and a large pot. I also recommend getting fresh vegetables and fruit on good deals, and if you're lucky grow them in a pot or on some land.

As I was moving things here and got lost on the way, I found a Salvation Army. While I'm not the most religious person in the world, I think for the sake of frugality, it would be a good idea to at least give them a chance when it comes to finding deals. I may find something useful.  I may never know. The Goodwill here is too far.

It is less expensive and better for the environment if people started taking buses and started riding bikes. I put the beach cruiser on my wishlist, because it has baskets that can hold grocery items. My main concern about bikes is where to park them when you're in the store. I was thinking of finding a pole for them or something to keep it from being stolen. Walking is my favorite method of transportation, but you can only do it for so long. I also like hitching rides from friends, but sometimes they are so busy with their own lives that I don't want to burden them. Getting a yearly pass helps when it comes to traveling in this city. I put a busspass on my wishlist for this reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment