Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Slight Experiment

Since I'm on a very tight budget, I want to try something. I was looking at  food websites yesterday and I looked at the ingredients of different recipes. I noticed that the ethnic foods are usually cheaper to make than the American foods. I think also depends on the ingredients and the substitutions that are needed for them to be made. So far, I believe that Mexican, Indian and Southeast Asian (Thai, Vietnamese) foods are the easiest to veganize and are the least expensive. Most of those recipes either require beans, rice and/or vegetables that can be found in the frozen food section. Although Indian food can require alot of spices, they can be easy to find even at a Mexican grocery store (spices like curry powder, cumin,  and herbs like cilantro and green chilis). I also find that tofu is the cheapest meat alternative, and that tempeh can be pretty expensive. Seitan can be made with gluten flour and a good basic recipe. I think for the produce, the best way to preserve them and add them to recipes is by freezing them. I also like cabbage as a vegetable, because of its long self life. Italian food is also cost effective, because a few ingredients go a really long way. I like to call it a default cuisine, because it can be made complex or simple.

Eventually, I'll post more vegan recipes that are cost effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment