Thursday, August 19, 2010

Commentary on the Recent News About The Salmonella Outbreak and Other Similar News

This week I had the pleasure of being confirm about why I do not eat any egg products by reading this article . The difference between being a vegetarian and a vegan is that vegans do not eat egg products. Some vegetarians who are ovo-vegetarians or lacto-ovo vegetarians will however, eat egg products. I've been guilty of trying to go back to incorporating eggwhites back into my diet. My stomach cannot take the abuse. So if I need something that eggs have such as B12 and Omega fatty acids, then I'll eat foods with those nutrients such as flaxseed and nutritional yeast.

The article by Yahoo discusses the recent recall of 220 million eggs that chickens worked really hard to lay. Those abused chickens went through all that trouble just so food can be wasted, because Americans do not want to change their ways of life which are detrimental to the environment. The salmonella bacteria can be spread to the eggs even before they are developed inside the chicken. The article also states that it does not matter if the eggs are Kosher, free-range or any of the sort, these types of eggs are not protected by salmonella.

First off, even before being vegan, before I gave up meat, I always hated eggs. I hate the smell, the taste, the texture and the sight of cracked eggs. I liked egg-based products such as mayonaisse and cakes and cookies, but now that there are alternatives to eggs and poultry, there is no need to consume them.

Secondly, I think that if the conditions of the chickens were more humane and less like a factory, then these contaminations would not happen in the first place. The same can be said about all the industries that pertain to the use of animals as food. America is a capitalistic society that bases itself on a mostly free economy. If there was a salmonella outbreak, then the most that anyone can really do is file a class action lawsuit against the egg farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment