Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Vegan Holiday Dinner and Recipes

For Christmas, I decided to make Indian food,  because it is a hot and exotic way to celebrate the cold harsh winter. There were two people for to eat Christmas dinner: my mom and myself. I enjoy going grocery shopping for food and I enjoy cooking and eating what I made.

I made the dishes that were listed in the previous post, except I added more spices to the potato dish. I also made candy yams, southern style with some vegan substitutions. My favorite dish is the Tempeh Tikka Masala. I should have simmered the tempeh in some water and then bake. With the left over tikka sauce I made an Indian twist on sloppy joe's. I like to call it the Tempeh Tikka Sandwich.

Tempeh Tikka Sandwich

1/2 package tempeh

1/2 jar Tikka Sauce (get the vegetarian kind with no cream, milk or yogurt)

1 cup Chickpeas canned or cooked

*Items to make a sandwich (to taste): Lettuce, tomato, avocado, onion, etc. I used the packaged thin buns. However, pita bread will be a better choice for this recipe, especially if it's thick and good quality for holding sauce.

Method

1. Simmer the tempeh in water on both sides for ten minutes or until slightly soften and drain.

2. Simmer the chickpeas until softened and drain.

3. In a skillet with oil, roughly mash the chickpeas and crumble the tempeh until it looks like ground meat.

4. Add sauce and simmer until sauce is slightly cooked.

Serve on bread in a sandwich. This recipe can be substituted for a swarma. This can also be eaten as a side dish. This is one of those recipes that I would serve at a party. Because the jar sauce was breaking a budget and this site is about veganism on a low cost, I would make the tempeh sauce from stratch (recipe will be posted soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment