Sunday, February 13, 2011

Makeshift Sloppy Joe's Recipe/ Other Things

Sloppy Joe's (2/12/11)

I made this recipe in my rice cooker in my dorm room. I was craving sloppy joe's because I wanted to kind of make up for not attending/having a Super Bowl party.

Ingredients

1/2 can vegan sloppy joe's sauce (I used Manwich, It's vegan)

1/2 pack Boca Ground Meatless Crumbles

1 small white onion, chopped

1/2 bell pepper, chooped

1 roma tomato, chopped

1/2 cup water

1Tbsp oil

Salt, to taste

Items to make sanwich: whole wheat vegan buns or pita bread,
avocado, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, etc


Method

1.In a rice cooker add: meatless crumbles, chopped onion, bell pepper and tomato along with 1/2 cup water and oil

2.Stir and close the rice cooker and let simmer.

3.When water is cooked out almost completely add salt and half can sloppy joe's sauce. Simmer with top of rice cooker open until the liquid is significanntly reduced.

*These turned out pretty well. I was a little worried about what happened if I used my rice cooker, but making this in a rice cooker turned out better than making it in the microwave. I would have to use a different brand of meatless crumbles because the Boca brand is not microwaveable.

Other Things

I finally went grocery shopping. My hallmate/ on and off again arch nemesis took me in his car along with his two friends. I didn't grab every single thing I needed, due to a small refrigerator, but I believe I can work with what I have. This is where canned beans and dried foods come in handy.Today I had left over sloppy joe's. Tonight I paid $6 for a box of cereal that I could have gotten for $4 or less. The next time I crave for something I don't have, I will open my refrigerator and see how much food I can make.

I'm a rather adventurous person (sort of). I should have went out this weekend alone. I think tomorrow I can do something else. Maybe I'll study and work on art first, and then go to the movies and make something. I can also try the curry recipe that I want to make in the rice cooker. I love cooked food that is not nuked in a microwave. I believe if I cut the potatoes tonight and microwave them, then I won't have to boil them in the rice cooker. I can save that for either the quinoa or the curry. I'm also scared to microwave the quinoa. They are such precious seeds. Hopefully I can make a good curry from the rice cooker like I did with the sloppy joe's.

No comments:

Post a Comment