Friday, April 4, 2014

What I Would Do Differently If I Could Relive My College Experience (Uncensored Commentary)

I am at the twilight of my education. I made the bold decision to leave the school I was attending in another state to finish my education in my home state due to the better quality of education and cost. First, I'm writing this unapologetically and honestly, not out of anger and bitterness. These experiences are mine and it should be a privilege on my part and yours that I'm willing write what no one else will.

Things I Would Do Differently if I Lived College Over Again

1. I would only make friends that are in the same path I'm in, whether it's in lifestyle or future career choices: I didn't think of this until my "professional skills for artists" teacher discussed what to look for in an a decent art education. She said it is helpful to be surrounded by those who have the same path. I still agree with her on this. I lived in a city that was NOT supportive of the arts, despite having a small art community and an art museum and a few galleries (I'll make a post about art schools soon). The city I lived in was also not a good place for vegans or women of color (read below). From childhood we are told that everyone deserves our time and we need to be respectful and trusting of others, we tell our daughters this the most. I say you don't like someone for any reason, you don't have to let that person into your life. If you don't want non-vegetarian/vegan men or people in your life, then cut them out. I got alot of flack from people because I had a male friend who wouldn't even look at a woman who was an omni. If I did it over again, I would only have friends who are artists and vegan/vegetarian, this includes dating. Nowadays, anyone guy who eats meat is a deal breaker.

2. I would have moved back home the same day I wasn't happy: When I lived in the city I lived in, each semester I became more and more unhappy. I used to think it was me falling into depression. I didn't know why I was getting more depressed, I thought that it was because my social connections were in Long Beach as opposed to Reno. I moved backhome to discover that it wasn't me, it was the people in the city with their views that make me sad for America and humanity in general.

3. I would not live on campus: Some students love to talk about living on campus as though it's the best idea since slice bread. Living on campus can make or break your social experience in college. In this case, it made mine worse. I would not recommend on-campus living for anyone over twenty-two unless it's an art school with a diverse range of people.

4. Jumping up at the first school that accepted me: I thought because the school I went to was the top journalism school that I would have a decent journalism education. It was from taking a computer science class that I decided to make the switch to art. I should have stepped back from the computer, breathe in and done more research.

I am happy to say that I got accepted to a top school in California for their art program. In the beginning it was difficult the first semester, but students would kill to get in, that's how competitive it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment