Wednesday, September 22, 2010

About My New Rice Cooker and Seitan and Tempura

I'm very excited about many things this week and I can't wait until the week ends. I have a philosophy test to study for that will be next Tuesday. If I do some research on topics and try to understand Hobbes, I think I'll make it. I'm trying not to bomb the questions that he gives us every week. They are worth total 15% of my grade and I want to get at least an A- in the class so I can make up for the B- that I got in philosophy last year.

I am a woman and I love to eat. I love trying out anything that is cruelty free and is healthy. I didn't know that I love to eat until I became vegan. If you ever decide on taking the plunge to veganism, then you will learn that you'll fall in love with the food the most. In my honest opinion, I think that foods that are vegan, like the soups, salads, grain dishes and the meat substitutes actually taste better than the omnivorous food with meat, dairy and preservatives.

Since I bought my rice cooker, I've been a little scared to try it. I bought it for $12 at Walgreens. I've waited all year for them to have one available. I am also getting a sandwich grill from there for about the same price. I am concerned that because it's cheap it might not work, or if it does work, it may give out. There's the phrase pertaining to cheap "you get what you paid for" and there's also expensive isn't always better. I was going to buy a smoothie maker from JCPenny's. It's the same make and model as the one my mom bought. It gave out on her when I called to ask her if she still recommends it. I have to consider the fact that she and my sister, her baby and my grandmother pretty much had smoothies three times a day. After a few months it will give out. It's kind of like a cheaper version of the Magic Bullet. I wanted something that can make hummus, sauces, gravies and dressings as well as the occassional peach pina colada or passion pina colada.

This week I'll test to see if my rice cooker can make red lentil soup. If it passes then I know I'm lucky to find such a bargain.

Tempura/Seitan

For the first time, I bought vital wheat gluten. It's the substance used to make wheat meat. I have been searching everywhere for a really good recipe and some techniques to perfect the art of meat analogues. So far, I came up with Vegan Dad's blog post. I don't have besan flour, but if I had a really good blender I can easily make some. I can soak, boil and grind some chickpeas instead. I also found vegetarian.about.com's method of seitan which is very basic. Judging by all the recipes I've seen on seitan, the dough can be boiled, steamed, baked or fried. After cooking the seitan the method of preparation is endless.

Meanwhile, I purchased some tempura flour only to find out that it has eggwhites in it. I was a bit disappointed, because I wanted tempura tofu to go with my soup that I'm going to throw together. There are recipes floating all over the internet for tempura. I don't want the breaded crust to be fluffy like pancake batter. That's only if I want to make "fish" and chips. I don't want to rely too much on faux meats either. Even though when I make a meal, the fake meat is my favorite.

However, winter is around the corner, food will be short, and the winters in this city are serious. It snowed from the end of November until the beginning of June. I am taking a class over the winter. I want to just go to school and go home. I considered moving back on campus, but I don't know if it will benefit me. So, this winter will be filled with frozen vegetables, grains and seitan, a rice cooker, my neighbor will be out of town this winter, so hopefully I can borrow his pots and pans, and some books. To make up the class I'm not taking anymore, I'm going to also study alot. When I'm not studying, I'll be watching movies, drawing or painting. I may also experiment in the kitchen a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment