Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pix of My Natural Hair Journey

   This was taken in July 2010. I believe that it was July 12th.
I used a leave in and a hair serum that is really meant for
   chemically relaxed hair. I currently tried out a new and more
natural hair product that is more suited for maintance.


I was going to wait another year before going natural completely. That was until I kept putting off hairday with the convenience of wearing a hairscarf all the time. I think I should have waited a little longer and try a two year transition. I should have ordered wigs when I couldn't get my hair braided and opted for a bigger afro. Now, I would honestly say that I do not regret my decision to chop all my straighten hair off due in part to frustration and curiosity. The picture on the top left is a "two strand twist". It's a really simple hairstyle that can be time consuming. The picture below it, I took the strands apart and pin my hair back.

I find the twist outs to be the best style for my hair. I tried braidouts, but I thought they were a bit boring for my liking. I also tried coil-outs (currently wearing, pics coming soon), but to my surprise, my hair is too long for them. When my hair gets longer, I'm going to wear it in a "wash'n'go", that's basically putting a product on the hair right after a shower and leaving it without styling. I forgot to mention that before doing the Big Chop, I went eight months without a perm. My hair is currently longer than seen in the pictures. I just hope that I do not get bored with my hair. If I do, I can always purchase a wig and tie my hair back until I get it braided again. I should have asked my mom to braid my hair. I think I'm getting too old to wear just braids all the time. I also don't want to wear wigs all the time unless I go somewhere special. So, my best bet is to braid my hair up and continue to wear scarves and beanies. I am not trying to impress anyone. I would not date a man from this city, anyway. I think tying my hair up made it easier to focus on other things. Every three months, I'll take pictures of my hair to show the growth. I can't wait to have a huge fro and for it to be long enough to press my hair straight like I used to have it.

I hope that my hair gets as long as this by the time I graduate from college in a couple of years.
One way of keeping track of growth is taking pictures every three to six months.  I think most likely my hair will be this long when I'm thirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment