Friday, September 24, 2010

Vegan Tempura

Ingredients

1 cup unbleached flour

1 cup water, cold

garlic powder, to taste

onion powder, to taste

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 table spoon vinegar

Method

Like my other recipes, I don't measure when I cook. This is probably why this recipe did not turn out the way I wanted it to. Mix all dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Add water, stir until the consistency is thinner than pancake batter, but do not over stir. Add vinegar and rake it through the batter until it's well incorporated, bit not over blended. Use with tofu or vegetables.

* If I can do anything different for this recipe, I'd probably add some corn or rice starch, or some rice flour. When I tried this recipe with tofu, it was too thin and did not have the full tempura consistency that I was looking for. Maybe if I added more oil to the pan or if I had gather what's going to be dipped before making the batter, then it would have turned out better. Maybe in addition to cold water in this batter I'll sit the bowl in some ice water, too. It also helps to have more baking soda and vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment