Tuesday, September 7, 2010

When Veganism Goes Mainstream

I find that veganism is like the new trend that was once stigmatized for being too dietarily (if this is a word) radical. You know it's mainstream if it's constantly discussed in the media. Especially when the media is New York Times.

According to this article , veganism, like cupcakes had become the new choice of diet in the recent years. I can attest to this, because I have a friend who now wants to try out the vegan diet. I hope that she sticks with it, because I can honestly say that it's a huge commitment. It's about time that ithis lifestyle becomes mainstream. If vegan cooking shows were shown in mainstream media, then there will be more positive acceptance of this unique, peaceful diet and going to restaurants, cafes or even people's houses won't be so akward. I cannot say that ALL people in this meat and dairy filled country would fully accept changes in that respect. The word "liberal" is the new fighting word these days.

In the article, a vegan college graduate, Chloe Coscarelli, entered a cupcake baking contest on Food Network TV. She competes against those who use dairy and eggs in their recipes. I would say that she is a good ambasador to the island of veganism, because she won the competition fair and square with her three flavors of cupcakes (that I plan on baking and trying). She's also from Los Angeles, the Californian "Mecca" of veganism and a place I want to live when I graduate ( love the art scene, and the fact that there are so many vegan grocery stores and restaurants). I also considered New York. I want to visit first to see if I like it. I think it's paramount to the cause to open restaurants. This weekend, I plan on baking cupcakes like the ones that Miss Coscarelli has on her website. I haven't tried any of her recipes yet, but I really hope that she gets a cooking show on Food Network. I tend to avoid that channel when I watch TV, because they do not promote healthy eating and variety of diets. I believe that there was one chef they showed on FoodNetwork who was vegetarian, but he was replaced by hosts like Bobby Flay, Paula Dean and the Neely's. In a world with a bulging waist line and an evergrowing appitite for fast, easy and junk laden foods, a show that promotes at least a flexitarian diet should be seriously considered. (Coscarelli's website will be posted in the blog with the list of resources)

No comments:

Post a Comment