Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Food From Scratch

I think after my poor diet over the summer, I decided to make a few changes (listed in another post). When I don't feel like making dinner I love to eat at this place called Jimmy Johns. It is a sandwhich shop like Subway, except the food is fresher. I also like to eat at this place called The Overlook. I had a friend that hated the hummus at the sandwich shop there, but I think if the hummus had a bit more flavor it would test better. It has a consistency like it's been frozen before. I always wanted to ask if they freeze their hummus, but I always forget. These places have one thing in common: whole wheat bread. I love whole wheat bread. I love the seeds and the heartiness of it. I also like the soft taste of unbleached white bread. The only thing I do not like about buying bread is the added junk in it. I want to take the plunge and start making bread and other foods from scratch. So, today, hopefully I can make it to the store, preferably WinCo, because it's cheaper. When I do make it there, I am going to go shopping galore and shop as though winter will strand me in my little apartment (technically it will).

Finding a decent bread recipe can be a challenge. I looked at some of the vegan websites and their recipes are not the best. When I search for recipes, I usually go to omnivorous websites and try to think of ways of adding vegan substitutes. I made the best vegan walnut cookies from my Betty Crocker Cookbook a while ago. I usually like to experiment when cooking. I don't like to copy other people's ideas. Being vegan in my opinion should be an avenue of creativity and imagination. This one reason why I get mad at the meat-eaters when they make a fuss about vegan and vegetarians who would eat meat substitutes.

Foods that I'll try to make from Scratch

Bread
Meat Substitutes
Non-Dairy milks
Dressings
Health Smoothies

As for faux meats, I saw a vegan recipe for "meat-balls" on another vegan blog. They look very tasty and pretty easy to make. The ingredients seem pretty easy to find (vital wheat gluten and tempeh) and the recipe can be made according to taste any type. When I make these "meat balls" they are going to go in a salad with a thick nutrient pack home-made sauce that will be used as a salad dressing. It's going to have a combination of raw ingredients and cooked with the bulgur and quinoa being the only cooked ingredients beside the "meat balls". I want to base the recipe on a salad I had at a vegan restaurant. The sauce was tahini and it was amazing. Being vegan made me love vegetables even more.

There is food that you love and there's food that you LOVE. I used to watch my uncle cook, and he would season every french fry, one at a time. I would say that he put love into his food. When I taste food that is 100% from scatch, I taste that love. It's like tasting the true fruits of labor so much, that the only thing missing is growing the ingredients from scratch. It makes me wish that I lived in a place like Twin Oaks, a commune that grows everything and I mean EVERYTHING from scratch and put the "love" into their food.

No comments:

Post a Comment